information.space

where did my hylon go?

7.27.2004

Yoga

Went to a yoga class for the first time with Kyrsten, Kerry and Monika. It was great. I think I may just have to go more often. The whole experience was quite enjoyable; the attitude of the teacher was one thing which made it so positive, but also the feeling you get after you do something beneficial for your body is unmatched and is one of the reasons I love karate so much. I was surprised just how many of the movements were the same as what we do for our warmup in my dojo. When I think about it, however, it's not such a surprise, as karate's origin can be traced back to India about a thousand years ago and traveled through China to it's most recent incarnation in Japan (with a major stop over in Okinawa, where it was heavily developed and became, for the most part, what it is today). Still, if it is the case that much of the traditional warmup practitioners still do for karate is so closely related to yoga, it just goes to show that the techniques must be pretty close to perfect, otherwise you would expect to see great change over such a large period of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home