information.space

where did my hylon go?

7.23.2004

Can you say sweltering?

My god, it's hot out there. I just finished biking from James Bay to UVic to talk to the librarians and also get my photo taken for my student ID (which I can't pick up till Aug 30th... silly buggers). When I got there I parked my bike by the campus centre and washed myself down in the bathroom; I was drenched. Sweat still seeping from my pours I decided I'd better sit down in the shade for a bit to let my body turn off the water works before I went to interact with anyone. There are countless places to sit on the campus and I found a nice little spot without much traffic and just sat listening to the birds while I cooled down. Drank some water to try and rehydrate myself as I knew I had lost at least a few hundred milliliters from the ride. There were some bird sounds I couldn't recognize, so much so, I questioned whether they were real birds or not, but they must have been. People watching at the university is going to be an interesting pastime I can tell already. When I was ready I got up and strolled, at a slow pace, since the heat was stifling and any movement brought the sweat back to my brow, towards the library. I looked up what was required before I could get my picture taken for my ID and I had already registered, so it was back to the photo ID/Information booth in the campus centre and in about five seconds I had my picture taken. It's going to be amusing having a sweaty photo of me on that thing for the rest of the year, if not longer. Then I walked back to the library to ask about subscriptions to more online journals. I got a really helpful lady at the take out counter (there was no information desk) and she detailed the system they use for ordering journals. Apparently the library has no direct say in what they order. Each faculty has their budget and the library liaison decides what to subscribe to. Her suggestion was I talk to my faculties secretary to find out whom that individual is and then hunt them down and badger them (her final remark was, "Good luck."). This was exactly what I needed to know, but at the same time, it wasn't really what I wanted to hear. It seems it's going to be harder to get the subscriptions I want than I was hoping, as whenever there is specific departmental budgets involved there is always in house politics. Oh well, I'm fairly good at coercion (or so I'd like to think), I'll make a trip to see this liaison when I get a chance. I'm in no rush, but I do want to get the papers necessary for my research. Time to email David Chalmers and ask what journals I should be interested in. Suffice it to say, even though I'm hot as hell and the bike ride was deadly, I enjoyed the trip and I'm looking forward to biking to karate and pushing myself a little further.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home