information.space

where did my hylon go?

7.13.2004

hmmph

Been since last karate class I posted. Wonder if that's a coincidence? Once again, and from here on in, every time I go to karate will be a good night. The kinda high where you could do anything and it would all be the same good. That should make some sense, but perhaps it's a bit too far fetched.

One thing I noticed today was that UVIC has access to the Journal of Consciousness Studies and I've been drooling over that journal since I found it ages ago. First article I read was by J. J. C. Place, someone who is fairly big in phil of mind. He's a proponent of mind/brain identity theory to a large extent, arguing against Chalmers, who brings a strange kind of dualism into his 'naturalistic dualism'. One which I tend to agree with, but I find it hard to believe in emergence. I feel myself forced to agree that there is only one substance, but I don't agree that things just emerge from the brain then coalesce and create our mind. One thing that I have to point out though is that, a complex system such as the brain, could be described by a dynamic system of equations creating chaotic attractors who's boundary conditions could be described as being emergent from the chaos. In that sense, perhaps supervenience has a foothold in my mind. Tons of articles to read.

If only I knew chaos theory, heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home